Friday 28 June 2013

not pyjamas, not the bed, not the flat, so what is it?

It isn't any good blaming the pyjamas, they are neutral, it isn't any good blaming the bed nor the location, nor anything else!  But looking more closely could it just be that sleep is the enemy or rather that by being attached to the idea of sleep is opposed to being fully conscious?  Imagine the delicious  nature of sleep as you, the person, are absorbed into its sweet embrace! This is so blissful that if you think about it, many of the other pleasures are akin to that feeling of becoming absorbed by something else.  A really lovely wine, a delicious meal, a holiday, falling in love, a warm bath, the company of someone who likes you, all of these things lull you (and me) into a false sense of security.  So, what to do with pleasures?  Should we climb a mountain and cut out all sensory pleasures?   I'm not sure that a householder disciple should do that, a householder disciple should be able to measure out the pleasure factor, know it for what it is and live lightly with it.  So, sleep is a challenge.  It is said that if you practise a new habit for 60 days, it becomes natural.  Having failed the 4.00 am challenge today, it means I will have to restart my 60 days.  I'm not sure if I have it in me to be that sharp, but I will take it day by day and I will stop blaming the pyjamas, they are innocent.

No comments:

Post a Comment