Sunday 23 June 2013

better iamblichus than Ian Rankin

Sunday slower-found me reading Valery Rees' History of Angels, Chaper 2 called Filling the Space between Heaven and Earth which was a change in direction from reading gripping Ian Rankin detective novels.  It struck me that words fill that space and what you read makes a difference to the realm you live in.  Out of the murky world of criminals and corruption to the world of Angels was like coming up for air, like the smog lifting in Singapore and I was struck by a quote in the book which Rees uses.  It is from Iamblichus (c 250-325).

'For the human race is feeble and puny, it sees but a little ahead, and is endowed with a congenital futility.  But there is one remedy for its inherent straying, confusion and unstable changing, and this is, if it participate so far as possible in some portion of the divine light.'

You can't get much clearer than that.  So, off to Church to thank God for the Church Fete! but more than that, I will be down on my knees thanking God for the possibility of freedom from my feeble and puny state.

No comments:

Post a Comment