Tuesday 4 June 2013

Grantchester conversation on Plato would have appealed to with Ruby Wax,

Meeting under the trees in Grantchester, Cambridge, a small group of us discuss Socrates' approach to death.  As I have just signed my will which states that I want my body to be cremated, this is rather appropriate. The actual sentence, with and I and the body separated by a verb is stating that the I and the body are different, (however, this doesn't make me want it to happen right now).  Socrates gently presses  the idea that life and death are just two sides of an opposite with a flux of states between them.  There are five of us looking at the possibility that the other world might be just as real as what seems so real about us now.  Everything though about the garden setting and the summer sounds made this world seem very attractive.
Plato's laying out of Socrates' argument move our ideas around so we begin to think about things differently.  In the Times today, there is an article about Ruby Wax and her intelligent use of the mind to change ideas which affect the state of her emotions.  I think she would think that Plato was an advocate of cognitive behavioural therapy and Socrates was what could now be called a facilitator.

How does this lead to meditation as a practice?  An idea to consider is that meditation is a sort of practice of death, it is a death of attachment to the passing ideas, a disbelief in them for just that part of each day.  Good luck with that one!

No comments:

Post a Comment