Thursday 25 July 2013

you're not going to like this question Granny

He, age 5, comes into the kitchen where I am pottering about.  He says,"you're not going to like this question Granny but I'm going to ask it anyway".
 I wonder if he is going to complain about the food! but no, this is the question or the statement with a question mark after it.
"You're going to die first aren't you?'
I reply "you mean me and Grandpa?"
"Yes."
"Well, that's probably likely," I say "but I am not actually going to die completely because the bit of me that is the lively bit, never dies but the bit of me that does get old will need replacing."
"That's what I thought," he says "it's just your skin and bones that go isn't it, nobody ever really dies do they?"
"Exactly right," I say "it's just like that although sometimes people find that bit a bit difficult, but they wouldn't find it so difficult if they knew it was just part of life changing not ending."
He looks pleased to have sorted this one out and disappears outside again.
I realise that it is very easy to have this conversation and believe it but not so easy when you are facing illness and old age.  It is not always so easy to meditate regularly and for the ideal length of time when the sun is shining, the smaller members of the family are begging for fun and you are feeling well so it is worth keeping in mind that there will be challenges to face and a bit of regular meditation may make facing them easier.

No comments:

Post a Comment