Saturday 27 July 2013

Finally I get round to God to answer Max's question

The 8 year old said, "if I don't believe in God, am I still a Christian?"
I said, that if you are christened your parents promise for you that you are a Christian and hold to that until you make your own mind up at about 16 or so but Max, that is a good question."
It made me think a lot about God and I wondered when I was going to get round to addressing that big question in the blog because it has been circling around in my own head and this question has just pushed it to the fore.
So Max, here we go.  If you were the all powerful, all merciful, all seeing being which permeated every single thing in the entire universe, what would you choose to be called?  You are the taste in water, the light in the sun, the sound in space, you are in every word in every language, you are in every blade of grass, every flower, bee, fruit and what's more you are the intelligence which has made all the i pads, i phones, computers, rockets and every extraordinary thing we can think of.  So, a lot of possibilities for a name don't you think?  Perhaps you would choose a name which even a child learning to speak could get its tongue round, you might just say, "Call me God for short."
Now every person will have a different view of God;
some believe Him to be a him, some to be a her, some to be far off, some will say He is closer than your own thoughts.  Some will choose to dress in white to honour Him, some will cover their faces, some will wear orange and mark their foreheads with a small mark.  Some cut off their hair, some let it grow long and never cut it.  Some will decide to find God by being entirely alone, some by helping the poorest of the poor.  Some will only think of God on Sundays, or on whichever special day they have marked out, some have God always in their mind.   Some will have God there as a certainty and some will have God there as a question.  You should keep God as a question but really keep asking questions until you feel satisfied.  I will be very interested to hear more of your questions as long as you will put up with my rather rambling answers.

No comments:

Post a Comment