Sunday 24 November 2013

Moved by Misery

I was sent this link to Ali's Song,http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Y1sF-yhqIP8.  Please watch it because we should all do what we can to help those who can help those who need it.  
In the summer of 2013, singer and trumpeter Barbara Snow heard a BBC Radio 4 item on the work of Médecins Sans Frontières/Doctors Without Borders in the Syrian civil war. In it, a boy called Ali was reported to have said ‘you won’t believe what I have seen’. These words inspired Snow to write and record a song with her band Chico Chica and donate the proceeds of the sales to the Médecins Sans Frontières/Doctors Without Borders Syria Crisis Appeal. www.msf.org.uk/country-region/syria‎


Sitting here at my kitchen table with hens clucking outside, a big pot of coffee on its way, I wonder what is the best way to help.  And I wonder if meditation helps and if it does, how?  Possibly by just tuning us in to the idea that other people are not really other than us, they are our brothers, sisters and children.   They aren't any different to us, they just happen to be placed somewhere awful and we are placed wherever we are.                                             

Meditating might just help us become more human and a bit more aware of other people.  I am crossing my fingers  that it will do.

No comments:

Post a Comment