Sunday 8 September 2013

tweeting and blogging is one thing, meditation another

Tweeting and blogging about meditation is one thing but I have made a promise to make sure I meditate without fail before tweeting and blogging and trying to tell anyone else to do it.  And also to avoid having mental tweeting or blogging during meditation and to just get back on track with meditating.  The interesting thing about really trying to stick to this inner promise is seeing how the mind works and how it has layers of thinking.  So you are there with your mantra and it is  repeating in a clear realm like a clear layer of water and when the little thoughts, the tweets or blogs or in this blogger's case, ideas about lunch! or occasionally something more profound, come along, they sort of float over the top.  They could completely trap you but they just drift pass harmlessly.  Meditation is something else altogether and it undoes mechanical thinking;
Rev Alice Goodman
 that thinking which is really rather mechanical, giving either pleasure, as in the excellent lunch idea, or anxiety, as in when you are trying to imagine yourself taking 27 awkward teenagers through Pride and Prejudice on a Monday morning.
So I can put my hand on my heart and say that I meditated this morning for a full half hour and it was good and now I can think and plan and cook and take myself off to Fulbourn to hear Rev Alice Goodman preach which may be very interesting.

No comments:

Post a Comment