Tuesday 24 September 2013

plums, friendship, meditation and funeral music.

I am sitting at the kitchen table, sun streaming in, dogs lying on the bench and my husband and an old friend kindly peeling and cutting up fruit for preserving.  The conversation is not about fruit, it is good old gossip and better still is covering the music we would all like to have at our funerals.  Both of those pictured plus the dog are practiced morning meditators and this conversation is taking place with enormous good humour and witty wisdom.  These two have worked together  in all sorts of ways, always with the same humour, they have fund raised together, sat on committees together, shared stories together but as far as I know this is the first time we have all sat down and planned the music for our funerals.  He thinks that he would like the death march from Handel's Saul but thinks that it might be a bit too grand, she says Zadok the Priest, and me, I think I would like to have the Pacobel Canon because even people who don't really care would weep just because of the music!  And I would like everyone to sit very very still for just ten minutes and know that every empty space is not full of nothing, it is just a total fulness.  The I that is gone will make room for the space that I have taken up.  Then I suggest a jolly good tea!
Oh yes and someone will have to look after the dogs.


No comments:

Post a Comment