Friday 7 August 2015

Happy marriage is all down to med and bed

dogs undisturbed
See what happens to Algie when Grandpa meditates

I read so much each week in the Saturday newspapers about the bedding habits of couples and I thought that it might help all those experts to hear what this Grandmother has to say.  After 45 years of marriage to the same old Grandpa, (once the young and dapper city  boy) I can say with confidence that it is the bed that matters.  In our case, he has to have the duvet tucked in and if possible have a blanket tucked round the duvet.  I put this down to boarding school where it was probably rather cold.  A lot of stuff is written about boarding schools, about the cruelty and bullying but from what I have heard, it was cold and the food wasn't great especially after the war.  Anyway boarding school in Grandpa's case had a formative effect on his needing to be well tucked in.  I like to be able to stick my feet out and leap out of bed quick if I get cramp (something boring for old people where your toes stick out straight and you have to force them back into foot position).  

In our everyday routine, which alters only marginally depending on who goes to get the morning tea, we rise, more slowly now to the day, we make ourselves reasonably respectable and then we make the bed together because of the aforesaid need to have one side tucked in  and the other side loose.  Then, out we go, dogs too to meditate.  Sometimes a little light chanting, sometimes not and then half an hour of meditation which those dogs are timing.  On the absolute last minute before either of us move, they are up, waiting to be walked and for their day to start.  
So, my recipe for a long and happy life with Grandpa is to find out what he really needs to do with the bed and then of course to meditate!




2 comments:

  1. Well, Liz, I was expecting something a little more raunchy than that!! However, it is excellent, and I know exactly where you are (both) coming from, being one who would have the fire grate on top of her at night, if we had such a thing!! I have to have weight on me ..... yes, and David doesn't, so makes for interesting compromises!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

    ReplyDelete