Wednesday 13 September 2017

One Liberated Grandmother!

the liberated washing line
I realise that in the days of female liberation, it is unusual to find a really really liberated grandmother. Look no further! I feel free and if that is what liberation is, then I am liberated.  Not in the usual mould of liberated woman maybe because Grandpa isn't in the way of being a liberated male, not at all, he is of the clutch the remote controller, do the driving no matter what type.  He was ahead of his time once when he changed the occasional nappy and helped with the washing up and also has a reputation as very good cook of a few very particular things, steak and kidney pudding, prawn cocktail, moules marinieres and taramasalata are the top of everyone's list.  So despite appearing to be a stereotypical duo of grandparents, this is why I feel free.  I feel free because there are a lot of things I absolutely love doing.  People and some of them in my own family will think I am mad but I love hanging out the washing!  I love being able to hang things out so you can fold them up and they don't need ironing.  I love the way the washing flaps in the wind and gets dry and I love using the pegs in such a way that things look good on the line!  Here is Suffolk we have an old fashioned line which is strung from one apple tree to another and so you get a good view of the washing and what it is doing.  Today when I hung out the towels there was a tiny ladybird teetering along the washing line like a wonderful tiny tight rope walker.  
Free swimming
I love swimming in the brown sea which isn't all that warm at the moment.  I love it when you get in and after you have your breath back, you float over the waves or swim a little way against the current measuring yourself against your pile of clothes on the shingle.  I love putting the house in order after our stay here, putting the clean sheets on, folding the towels and laying them out on each bed waiting for the next person.  Many a person might think that this wasn't freedom but I argue that it is just because I love it.  I know that this isn't everyone's way to freedom but what must be common to all states of freedom is that they make you feel free, make you feel good.  They make you feel that nothing in the world is missing.  


Liberated Grandpa
                               

No comments:

Post a Comment