Sunday 11 December 2016

You have to be fit to climb Mount Sinai

St catherine's monastery, an ark in the wilderness
Father Justin, librarian's talk
In the spring Grandpa and I are going to climb Mount Sinai!  This is not only a spiritually high spot but a physically challenging climb.  We may go half way by camel but I am not sure that camel riding is Grandpa's bag.  In order to get fit for this, I need to do more than potter around with the dogs and the hens, I need to lose about a quarter of my body weight and start a fitness regime.  But oh, hey ho, it's Christmas next so the weight will have to wait around.  That will give me 6 weeks of dieting which I hate but if we do it together, Grandpa has the staying power for dieting.  In fact he has remarkable discipline when it comes to anything he sets his mind to doing so I think he will be up Mount Sinai like a gazelle and I will trundle along behind him.
Christ Pantocrator, 4th Century icon, He looks so alive
We are going with Father Laurence Freeman and friends on an adventure and retreat to St Catherine's Monastery which is built on the site of the Burning Bush where Moses met God in fiery form.  The bush is still there!  Also still there are the icons which show over and over again the stories of God and man, God and Mary the mother of Christ, John the Baptist, the Apostles, the Saints and all manner of ancient and extraordinary stories imbued with the total devotion of the icon painters who really stood between the painting and the transcendent inner vision which had been granted to them.  
Do you want to come too?  If you do, just get in touch with Fay at Wind, Sand and Stars, there are still a few spaces.  And there is still time to lose those extra pounds beforehand.

No comments:

Post a Comment