Thursday 7 August 2014

How to have a good death!

Dr Katherine Sleeman
Well you will say, she is really on a roll with dying and death!  And I am, I am a realist and it doesn't take a grand-daughter's observations on the colour of my hair and the years I have lived to make me realise that there is only so long to go.  Does this frighten me?  I don't think so, I have seen and been with people who have died well, with their families there and their striving and worrying about past and future laid to rest.  The timing of their dying and their deaths has been a major factor in feeling so strongly that we shouldn't legalise euthanasia, we should recognise that dying is part of living, we should prepare for it and not be so fearful of the manner of it's coming, that we allow assisted suicide, legalised euthanasia to be a term we become familiar with.  We should just start to learn about how to do it well, to make our preparations if we are allowed to but above all to know enough about it to not be frightened into making a natural thing into something forced.
No jokes today folks but here is a link to a brilliant film of Dr Katherine Sleeman talking about the future of medicine in the context of dying and palliative care.  Pass it on to anyone who needs to feel that there is a benevolence in every part of the cycle of our lives and that with help, we will touch it.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2VsYhw9z-1Q

No comments:

Post a Comment