Monday 14 October 2013

Meditation helps the bruised ego!

I get a real smack in the ego so that every fibre of it is smarting.   I know that this smarting is not what should happen to a philosophic blogging aged meditator but it has and so what do I do.  To start with I resist every move in the mind to justify why I should fight back and determine that I will look at the event from the emptiness that the Dalai Lama commends.  I also think about the real difficulties that people I know are facing and conclude that ego-smarting is ego writ large.  Does this work?  It does take a bit of time to reestablish equilibrium but I know that if I was the Dalai Lama or the female equivalent, there wouldn't be a tremor let alone a tear.    And I meditate for the full half hour with absolute determination to not go to the wound which is like a toothache that the tongue longs to go towards and then I go out to supper with my daughter and we chatter and eat a pizza and drink a very nice glass of red wine.  Note to self, this getting over bad things should be possible just with meditation but family helps when you haven't managed to completely banish it on your own.  Thanks Mary.


No comments:

Post a Comment