Wednesday 30 August 2017

Not a theme park, but a thought to play with

It is better not to be thinking about other things when you meditate, in fact meditation and thinking are mutually opposed to one another!  However, meditation does help thinking in this respect; it helps to detach you from the feelings the thoughts may be associated with.  So, pleasure at the pleasant thought, the successful thought or the delicious food thought or the putting the world right thought or sad thoughts of the things you would rather not happen, those thoughts are put on hold and then if they reappear after meditation, you are much better equipped to deal with them.  You know you aren't them, they are just your thoughts and some of them are just thoughts which float about in the thoughtmosphere.  
Roger Scruton, philosopher
Jacob Rees Mogg
I wanted to think of a way of replying to my Facebook friend who thought blogging for Mogg showed a desire to return to a themed park world of cap doffing to toffs.  For sure that was not what I wanted to show.  So having searched around for a way of explaining what it is that I want to conserve and  why I am a Mogg fan, here is a link to Roger Scruton the thoughtful philosopher who manages to convey what I am not managing to do.  He speaks on the Sunday Programme on BBC Radio 4 Point of View.  He speaks about what being a Conservative means and why it doesn't just mean being a Tory.  I like the Mogg more than most of the other politicians although I do rate Frank Field (not Tory) and Vince Cable too because they seem to have the same quality of being the same on the inside as the outside, being all of a piece with what they say.  

So, I hope that Mr Rees Mogg is that person I believe him to be and although he doesn't wear jeans and has a geekish look to him, he also appears to me to have a goodness of heart and a quiet self-deprecating humour which would help him to keep steady in the face of difficulties.  

.

No comments:

Post a Comment