Thursday 3 July 2014

pants and archbishops, two gems for today

The great thing about being a Granny is that you aren't allowed to drive the car, Grandpa literally takes the wheel and you just sit there and to distract myself, I read the newspaper from cover to cover.  Thus, today on our drive to London, (2 hours and several jams), I read even the extra business bit which tells me about Becky John and her ethical  pants-making company (not pants as in America but pants as in knickers)  She believes "that pants can change the world" and I certainly agree that pants can change the way you feel about yourself!  Even if you are a Granny on the outside, you just pop on a pair of Becky's pants and you feel ageless.  To further add to my delight at reading rather than listening to traffic updates and the reaction of my Grandpa driver, I turn to page 5 which quotes an interview with former Archbishop Rowan Williams in the New Statesman who says that "over the years, increasing exposure to an engagement with the Buddihist world in particular has made me aware of practices not unlike the "Jesus Prayer" and introduced me to disciplines that further enforce the stillness and physical focus that prayer entails"-"walking meditation, pacing slowly and co-ordinating each step with an out-breath is something I have found increasingly important".
Of course you can easily see why I have linked these two articles can't you?  They both point to ways of discovering that you are not what you seem, neither Granny nor Archbishop, you are free inside to practice whatever makes you feel better and you are free to wear whatever pants you make you feel good.  Good luck with making the same link and good luck Becky John and three cheers for Rowan Williams who I regard as a complete saint.

No comments:

Post a Comment