Monday 19 May 2014

lemon squeezer tears

This isn't it but it was a bit like this but older!
We live in a house which belonged to my Father-in-law and which he bought in 1950 so there is a long history of this family living in this house.  When we moved in, everything was there, biscuit tins, old jam jars, lots and lots of berets, (my Father-in-law favoured the French beret when he was working around the garden).  And there, amongst the other odds and ends when we moved in was an electric juicer which we gave him for Christmas over 40 years ago.  It is or should I say was rather brilliant, you just pressed your half-orange or half-lemon down and the middle whizzed around and out came the juice.  I used it a lot.  Today, I can't find the main part, I've looked and looked in every cupboard and drawer and there is it isn't!  I think that someone has thrown it out by mistake so I have put the rest of the squeezer into the rubbish.  I feel sad that I have lost it, it was a link to someone we loved.  40 years plus that have passed since it was bought, wrapped up in Christmas paper, given, received, used over and over again by him, by mother-in-law, by others in the house have disappeared into almost nothing.  It makes me realise how many things pass me by and I don't have time to notice that I value them, how many people pass in and out of my life and I don't think or say how important they are to me.  Meditation does wake you up, not just to the loss of a lemon squeezer but to the importance of every moment.  It isn't the lemon squeezer I miss anyway, it is somehow a person inside me who was a daughter-in-law and who thought it would go on like that forever
.  

No comments:

Post a Comment