Sunday 21 December 2014

God is a feeling, a Christmas blog

I may be wrong but this is what I feel.
I have heard about God and read about God.  I know that God has many names in many cultures and in many religions, many interpretations of what God is.  I have searched for God, prayed to God and wondered about God.  Is God male? female? personal? impersonal? Does God inhabit a place? or is God so ineffable that he/she or it can never be known?
But once this year I felt what God might be and here is the story in a Christmas blog special.  This year, in the autumn I was on a Sinai desert adventure and woke up early under the great big clear sky all set about with stars.  All my worst and most unhappy thoughts came roaring straight at me.  What was I to do?  I was under the marvellous canopy of heaven and here were the few things which had the power to snatch away comfort and sleep!  So, I lay there saying the Lord's Prayer over and over again and all of a sudden, instead of the Our Father being a concept, the Our Father was Father, was the feeling you have when you consider someone who loves you with no questions asked, the supreme parent.  He/She/It was the feeling you have when you are loved just for your self.  Where was that feeling? It was both inside and outside, both personal and universal, it was every single being's parent.  It was a feeling and the feeling was real, as real as the stars in the sky. It was a real Christmas moment.
Starry sky


No comments:

Post a Comment