Monday 1 September 2014

You can't take your electric rollers to the Sinai Desert

You can't take those rollers to Sinai Granny!
Every so often, the abracadabra girl comes to stay and after sharing a bath, my morning routine of putting in rollers is observed with some curiosity!  And no wonder because although the hair comes out in lovely curls straightaway, by the time I have been out to the hens in the damp old English early mist, the curls are already compromised and I look much the same as I do before I ever put them in and just as I will look when the day has come to an end.  So, no wonder that the abracadabra girl expresses some surprise at the morning schedule.
In October, with my very old friend Mary, I am off to the Sinai desert for a week of Silence and a visit to St Catherine's Monastery. The adventure into Silence is led by Sara Maitland, she of the Book of Silence which I loved.  We are told that there is nowhere more silent than Sinai.  So, am I worried about the silence of the huge desert or am I worried about unrest in the region, am I concerned about strange exotic viruses or wild bedouin.  No!  I am just worried about leaving my good old electric rollers behind!  So worried that I have cut my hair so short that I can only just get two or three of them into the top bit, this is a slow lessening of dependence.  I don't think they make much difference to anything but my own image of myself.

No comments:

Post a Comment