Monday 25 August 2014

richard attenborough democratised every space

I remember meeting Richard Attenborough, it was just once and I wasn't a celebrity friend, I just happened to sit next door to him at a memorial service lunch and the thing I remember was that he was interested in meeting me as if I was a star.  Ben Kingsley said that he democratised every space he inhabited and I can echo that.  The greatest people who have ever lived democratise the space they inhabit, they make it available to whoever meets them there.  This is unusual, most people want to put a fence around their own chosen space, their belief, their speciality, their religion, their philosophy but it just means that there are those who are inside that space and those who are outside.  It takes a great soul to recognise the person opposite them with their plate of sandwiches and their need for a seat as exactly the same as themselves.
Thank God for people like this who believe that the person in front of them is just the same as anybody else.

No comments:

Post a Comment